How can you tell if it’s the right time to send your child to Kindergarten?
This is a question that causes many parents to worry, but there are answers.
Lorna Kemper, Principal at Gethsemane Lutheran School, has made those decisions as a parent and helped other parents make smart decisions for their children.
Kemper says a child’s intelligence should not be the sole determining factor when it comes to this decision.
“Are they emotionally ready for school? Are they able to withdraw from mom and dad for a while to go in with a group of kids and sit and do projects,” said Kemper.
Parents often use age as the determining factor in their decision, but there are other things to consider.
“Age is only part of the equation,” said Kemper.
She believes children need to be ready physically, cognitively and socially.
In an article on Kindergarten Readiness, Babycenter.com lists these indicators and questions to help parents determine whether their child is ready for the big step:
- Is your child able to listen and follow instructions?
- Is he/she able to put on their coat and go to the bathroom by themselves?
- Can they recite the alphabet and count?
- Can he hold a pencil? Cut with scissors?
- Is he curious and receptive to learning new things?
- Can they work together with others as part of a group?
Kemper understands holding a child back one year can make a big difference and it’s not a bad thing if your child isn’t ready.
She held two of her twins back just before kindergarten.
Kemper believes this was the best decision she could have made for them, because it allowed them to develop, grow and be prepared to handle the school day.
Kemper was on ABC15 News last year sharing her insight in this video:
EVENT: GLS ONE-ON-ONE KINDERGARTEN ROUNDUP
WHY: BECAUSE WE TAKE YOUR CHILD’S KINDERGARTEN EXPERIENCE PERSONALLY.
WHEN: AT YOUR CONVENIENCE
WHERE: GETHSEMANE LUTHERAN SCHOOL – 1035 E. GUADALUPE RD, TEMPE, AZ 85283
WHAT: A PERSONALIZED KINDERGARTEN ROUNDUP EXPERIENCE
- Meet the kindergarten teacher and principal
- Tour the kindergarten classroom
- Learn about what you can expect
- Learn more on how to prepare your child for kindergarten
- Learn how scholarships and tax credits can pay for your child’s private school tuition
SIGN UP TODAY BY EMAILING Marketta Roemke at MROEMKE@GLSTEMPE.COM or call 480-839-0906 Ext. 3 **Child must turn 5 years old by September 1st, 2015**